This tutorial will demonstrate how to configure DMARC records in cPanel, which dictates how mail servers should handle messages from your domain in the absence of valid SPF and DKIM records. As DMARC is widely used by popular email providers like Gmail, Yahoo!, AOL, Hotmail, and Outlook, it increases the likelihood of successful email delivery. Below are some basic examples of DMARC records:
DMARC Setup Steps
- Login to cPanel.
- Click Zone Editor under Domains.
- Click the Manage button next to the domain you want to work with.
- Click the +Add Record button.
- Change the Type from A to TXT.
- Enter the Name, TTL, Type, and Record as described below. Keep in mind that you must select one of the following options for the Record field: None, Reject, or Quarantine.FieldSettingName_dmarcTTL14400TypeTXTRecordIn this field you must choose how you want recipient servers to handle email from your domain that fails SPF/DKIM validation. Options are outlined below in red:
v=DMARC1; p=none; sp=none; rf=afrf; pct=100; ri=86400
v=DMARC1; p=reject; sp=none; rf=afrf; pct=100; ri=86400
v=DMARC1; p=quarantine; sp=none; rf=afrf; pct=100; ri=86400Alternatively, you can request an email report of failed DMARC validations by adding a valid email address, such as the following:None:
v=DMARC1; p=none; sp=none; ruf=mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org; rf=afrf; pct=100; ri=86400
v=DMARC1; p=reject; sp=none; rf=afrf; pct=100; ruf=mailto:email@example.com; ri=86400
v=DMARC1; p=quarantine; sp=none; ruf=mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org; rf=afrf; pct=100; ri=86400
- Click Add Record to save your record. Note: In Zone Editor, typing “_dmarc” will auto populate the domain.
You will then see your record listed in the Zone Records section.
Congratulations, now you know how to set up DMARC records in your cPanel for email validation.
As a small business, you understand that successfully delivering your emails to recipients is only one aspect of email marketing. With InMotion’s Shared Hosting plans, you’ll have access to several beneficial tools that can help elevate your email marketing efforts.