Domain Privacy is a feature that enables you to conceal the contact details associated with your Domain from public access. Initially, this feature was only available during the initial domain registration process. However, the Account Management Panel has been updated to include the option of adding domain privacy to already existing domains. By selecting the desired time period, the AMP will automatically apply domain privacy and charge the appropriate fee to your account. This article provides a step-by-step guide on how to access this feature within the AMP.
Applying Domain Privacy to Existing Domains
To access the Domain Privacy feature within the AMP, follow these steps:
- Log in to your AMP account.
- Hover your mouse over the “Domains” tab in the main menu and select “Manage Domains.”
- You will be directed to the Domain Management menu. Look for the domain name you wish to add privacy to and click on the “Add Domain Privacy” link located on the right side of the domain name.
- You will be taken to the Order Services menu where you can review the order summary. Make sure that your billing information is complete and accurate before clicking the “SUBMIT” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Note that the cost of domain privacy is calculated by calendar year. For example, if you purchase domain protection in June, the price will be prorated so that you only pay for the remaining six months of the year.
- Once payment has been processed, the domain privacy feature will be automatically applied. WHOIS queries will display “Domain Admin” or “Domain Administrator” in place of your contact information. In addition, InMotion Hosting Support Center’s contact information will be used instead of your own.
To see the difference between a domain with domain privacy and one without, please see the table below:
|Data Field||Without Privacy||With Privacy|
|Organization Name||John Doe||John Doe|
|Contact Name||John Doe||Domain Administrator|
|Address Line 1||123 Any Street||360 N Pacific Coast Hwy|
|Address Line 2||Apt 101||Suite 1055|
|Country||United States||United States|
When you use a WHOIS tool in a command line or website environment, you can see that the contact information for a domain is typically publicly available. However, when domain privacy is applied, the contact information displayed in the WHOIS will actually be for InMotion Hosting. This helps to protect your personal information from being accessed by spammers, data miners, and hackers who may use it for advertising campaigns or other malicious purposes.
It’s important to keep in mind that the legal owner of the domain is the organization name listed in the WHOIS. By keeping your name in the Organization Name slot, you ensure that there is no confusion over ownership of the domain name. The Organization Name can be any legal entity, whether it be a person or a business. This allows you to retain full legal ownership of the domain while still maintaining your privacy through domain privacy services.
How to Cancel Domain Privacy
To cancel your Domain Privacy subscription, please follow these steps:
- Log in to your AMP account.
- Hover your mouse over the “Billing” option in the main menu and click on “My Subscriptions.”
- Look for your Domain Privacy subscription on the “My Subscriptions” page and click on the “Cancel Domain Privacy” link.
- You will be directed to the “Cancel Domain Privacy” page, where you can choose an address for your WHOIS information by selecting an option from the drop-down menu.
- Once you have chosen your preferred WHOIS information, click the “Submit” button.
- You will receive a message confirming that you have successfully canceled your Domain Privacy subscription.