When you install programs on your hosting account to enhance or build your website, they often come with numerous files and folders that are added to your file structure. Occasionally, you may need to rename these files or folders. This could be for security reasons, such as renaming an administrative folder, or for debugging purposes by renaming files or folders temporarily to remove them from the program.
This cPanel tutorial will show you how to rename files and folders using the File Manager tool.
How to rename a file or folder within cPanel’s File Manager
To rename a file or folder using the File Manager tool in cPanel, follow these steps:
- Log in to your cPanel dashboard.
- Look for the “Files” category and click on the “File Manager” tool icon.
- Once inside the File Manager, locate the file or folder you wish to rename. If you are renaming a folder, make sure you are not already inside that folder.
- Right-click on the item you want to rename and select the “Rename” option.
- Enter the new name for the file or folder.
- After entering the new name, click on the “Rename File” button.
- You will now see the newly renamed file or folder within your cPanel file structure view.
Congratulations, now you know how to rename a file in cPanel using the File Manager.